Sunday, November 11, 2012

Prompt #10: C.R.A.P.

In my English class we recently read an online article about web-style writing. Web-style writing is something that truly fascinates me, because many people know very little about it, but it consumes probably 75% of the populations daily lives.

Everyone considers, at least a little, the meaning behind what they are writing on there various social media networking sites. Something most of them probably don't consider is the background work that went into making sure that media network site is enjoyable and attractable for all audiences. In this decade every one is a target audience for the internet. It seems these days children are born and raised on the internet and  technology. If the internet consumes so much of everyone's life, why not learn how to use it the right way. 

Whether they know it or not, visual design is what draws people into these websites so prominently. There were several different aspects to this article on visual design, but the one I was drawn to was the C.R.A.P. method. The C.R.A.P. method is one that was edited in the article by Matt Barton, James Kalmbach, and Charles Lowe:

C-contrast
R-repetition
A-alignment
P-proximity 


All of these four features go into making a desirable and workable web page. Contrast means that the webpage can't have colors that clash, giving the reader a possible headache. Repetition is just how it sounds. It's the process of repeating words, colors, or background of the design. The alignment is, basically having everything centered. No one wants to read words going crazy all over the page. The last of the C.R.A.P. method is the use of proximity. Proximity may be them most important one of all. The letters, phrases, boxes, anything that might be included on the webpage cannot be too close to too far apart or the reader will become frustrated and give up on the text altogether. These four elements work together to create a successful, design savvy webpage.

The need for these four elements nowadays sky rockets from what the meaning behind these were 10 or even 15 years ago. Almost everyone is using the internet in some way. Every day business's are updating there webpages to attract more customers or artists are finding ways to interact with there fans to gain more success. Even politicians have websites to promote voting. These are only two examples in a wide variety of reasons why using the C.R.A.P. method works. This concept gives the webpage a more desirable look, but it also gives it a more credible one. Viewers of this webpage are more likely going to come back to visit it, if the design is pleasing to the eyes. This is where this method comes in and is useful. The more likable a webpage is for anyone viewing it, the more likely it is that someone, somewhere is going to share it. "What's that you say? You know where I'm going with this, well then you'd be right, RHETORICAL VELOCITY STRIKES AGAIN."

(I apologize for the all caps, I get carried away and I haven't had anyone peer review this yet, *cough cough*, so my writing is out of hand right now).

So, back on the topic, this method is needed and extremely useful. Would you want to read this blog if it was in bright pink letters with a neon yellow background? No, you probably wouldn't. Websites need rhetorical velocity to be successful and for the website to be successful, it needs the C.R.A.P. method.


Have a lovely day and keep this in mind... 

Always, always remember to stop and enjoy the sunshine. 

~Kelsey 






This is my last blog post for this project *sigh.* That's okay though, because I enjoyed it so much I'm highly considering starting another one or maybe even continuing this one on my own. It was an enlightened experience for me and I really enjoyed it. As I wrote, I learned things about myself and writing that I will forever keep in the back of my mind to be pulled out at a moments notice when needed. It was quite fun at times and I enjoyed sharing my thoughts with every one of my readers. I don't know when I'll be back, but no need to fear, the wait won't be to long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment